Ahoy! Two posts in one day. Must be nearing the end of the holidays, and I haven’t managed to get all my thoughts out of my head yet. Five things to tell you:
1. I have a Twitter account! I think I’m going to use it for stuff that’s too brief to go on here. And I’ve got one of those twitter feed things on the side of the blog, over there -> I’m @woolheadknits 🙂
2. I did some entrelac and it worked!
I have always thought of entrelac as being well beyond my capability. But six weeks ago I got a pile of knitting books out of the library, and just got round to reading this one:
The instructions were so clear, I found it really quite straightforward. As long as you can keep count of your stitches (or can work it out from how many are left on the needle) while you watch Downton Abbey (just me?), it’s fine. I found that, instead of reading the instructions and working out what would happen next, I had to just get on with it and it would become clear straight away. I was thinking about doing one side of a cushion cover in entrelac, but my sample was in dk and it took quite a long time, so I’m going to hang on until I’ve got some chunky wool so it goes a bit faster. Also, I thoroughly recommend the book – loads of information about how you can go a bit more freestyle with your knitting, which I’m finding very exciting at the moment!
3. My button box arrived this morning. I ran straight upstairs to sort out my buttons 🙂
I love them all sorted by colour! Had a chance to play around with combinations – I’m thinking about some knitted flowers with these at the centre.
4. I have officially taught myself to crochet! It was my summer project, but I was keeping quiet about it because I’ve tried it once before and it was too difficult for me. So when I was in Cornwall, my mum helped me to count the chain and showed me where to hook into the chain for the first row. Seriously – it was just the first row that I couldn’t do!
So I did a rectangle.
And I pinned it and blocked it.
And I made up a border and sewed on some buttons.
Worked out what it is?
A hook holder! The lining is really badly sewn – it was the first thing I did on the JL Mini, so I was still figuring out how to do stuff. It’s made from scraps (yes, I have a material stash too); the blue flowery fabric is part of a sleeve from the size 26 dress of a few posts ago. I used some of the Stylecraft – bluebell, lime and cream. I love the hooks, which C gave me for my birthday. For some reason, it seems to make him really happy to see me using them! He’ll soon learn the dangers of a relationship with a knitter/crocheter (not least, the easy access to pointy weapons).
5. I have some new WIPs! Now that O’s hoodie and the blanket are done (BEFORE the deadline!) I’m allowed to start some new things 🙂 sneak peek:
That’s some more crochet going into the blue bowl… The cream and lilac are sitting there waiting to be decided on (but don’t they go nicely with the blanket?)… And the zigzag ribbed cushion back has been measured up for its partner 🙂 exciting! So I’d better actually get on with it, instead of just talking about it.
Edit to add: I just thought of another thing to tell you – very important that this is made public knowledge.
6. C said that I can have a knitting room when we move in together! Hahaha, the fool has no idea what he’s let himself in for – a whole room to fill with wool?! Seriously, don’t tell him what a huge mistake he’s made 🙂 all I did was show him one picture on facebook of one craft room, and straight away he said I could have one too (one day). Now you know why I needed to record this information!