Oh I’m so spectacularly bored! I’m at the garage waiting for my car to be fixed. I should be in work, but the car wouldn’t start this morning, and if I don’t get it sorted now, I’ll be done for all week. Does it sound like I feel guilty for not being in work? I do! I haven’t had a day off sick for about four years.
So I’m in the waiting room at the nice shiny garage, and the mechanics are lovely but keep asking me questions I don’t understand, and I have to reveal my ignorance about the car I drive every day. I think I was just asked ‘Do you know why you don’t have a locking wheel nut on the rear off side wheel?’. Of course I don’t know – but if you’ve dropped any stitches, I’ll be happy to pick them up for you! My feminist senses are tingling, but it’s ok because C doesn’t know anything about cars either, so I don’t feel like a ‘useless girl’.
I’ve done all the work I can do remotely – lots of emails sent and records updated this morning. But now I’ve got no work I can do here, and I’ve committed the yarner’s cardinal sin: I have no WIPs with me. I’ve got about 20 at home, but that’s no use to me now! So to pass the time, I’m going to try to do an inventory of all the WIPs I haven’t got round to writing about here yet.
1. Baby blanket of African flowers.
2. Cream and green dress that needs buttons.
3. Pink baby cardie that needs about 4 inches of boring stocking stitch, and which I think will be absurdly huge.
4. Blue hand warmers that I started, but the first one is too small, so I need to frog and restart.
5. Pink hand warmer – only one because I did the first one and got bored.
6. Crofter hand warmer – exactly the same circumstances.
7. Beige hat for C’s mum.
8. Baby blue crocheted crescent shawl.
9. Grey and orange sock yarn cowl.
10. Granny squares blanket in Cath Kidston colours.
11. Cushion covers – one needs the ends sewn in (20 million of them) and one needs the cross stitch design finishing.
12. (Oh god, they’ve just asked me another difficult question!) A crochet purse my for mum that I really need to finish before Friday.
13. A hat for my sister that should have been finished more than a month ago.
That’s all I can think of. Now, WIPs that only exist inside my head so far:
1. A blanket made of nine giant solid granny squares, in Ice magic light, possibly with a white border.
2. A peaked hat with two buttons in dark grey and probably red.
And finally, a show and tell:
I made about five purses last summer, to keep ‘in stock’ as presents. And last month I needed a little purse, and suddenly remembered them! It’s a bit ropey because it was the third thing I had ever crocheted, but I love my little nautical purse 🙂